Have you ever wondered the different actions people take when they visit your website organically or through paid ads? Facebook pixel is an analytics tool that helps you answer questions like this.
The article covers the importance of Facebook pixel as a tracking tool for Facebook and Instagram ads, especially for businesses who advertise on Facebook and Instagram.
The Facebook pixel is an analytics tool, a piece of code, placed on your website, that allows you to measure the effectiveness of your advertising, by understanding the actions people take on your website.
Facebook pixel triggers, records, and reports any action someone takes on your website. Examples of actions recorded include product page view, button click, add to cart, or purchase.
Your activity of viewing this blog post, for instance, is currently being tracked anonymously by Facebook pixel. The pixel records information such as page views and average reading times.
This will help me understand the performance of this post relative, to other posts on the blog.
With the Facebook Pixel, you will understand the following;
- When a customer takes action after seeing your Facebook ad, you’ll know.
- You can also re-engage this customer by creating a Custom Audience of users who have interacted with your website.
- The more conversions you generate on your website, the better Facebook gets at delivering your ads to people who are more likely to take certain actions. – This is referred to as conversion optimization
Benefits of the Facebook Pixel
- Analyze the results of your ads. By measuring what happens when people see your ads, you can better understand their impact.
- Keeping track of conversions. You can track your website visitors’ actions using the Facebook pixel. Your Facebook conversions appear in Facebook Ads Manager and Facebook Analytics, where they can aid in analyzing your conversion funnel and calculating your return on ad investment.
- Build a Custom Audience. Your website visitors can be segmented into groups depending on the actions they take on the site using pixel information. Find out which of your site visitors have visited a specific page or taken the desired action. Get your ads in front of the right people. As seen below, you can create an audience of people who have visited your website over the last 180 days. You can only do this if the Facebook pixel is active on your site.
- Increase sales. The Facebook Pixel is helpful for optimizing ads in order to generate more sales. By creating Dynamic Ads, you can track how past visitors have interacted with your website. Setting up automated bidding can help you reach people who are more likely to take action, such as a purchase, by reaching out to the right audience. Only a Facebook pixel can enable this. E-commerce sites can benefit greatly from this.
To be successful with Facebook Ads, You need to implement the Facebook Pixel. Otherwise, you are not only leaving money on the table, you are also not maximizing your ad spend.Tope Emiola, 2020
Here is the Facebook Pixel reporting interface for this website, showing records of how people are interacting with this website, tope.marketing.
- Page view represents the total number of unique people that have checked out combined pages of tope.marketing. It is the most common events the pixel reports, as it captures everyone who interacts with all pages of the website.
- View content event tracks people who interact with specific pages of the website.
How to set up the Pixel without writing a line of code.
Before you begin:
- Your business needs a website.
- Access to the admin dashboard of your website, or direct access to your developer.
- You need a Facebook Advertising account or a Business Manager account. This post explains how to create a Business Manager account.
Follow these steps:
- Sign into your Facebook Business Manager
- Go to Events Manager.
- Click Connect data sources and select Web.
- Select Facebook pixel and click Connect.
- Add your pixel name.
- Enter your website URL to check for easy setup options.
- Click Continue.
Adding the Pixel to your website
The Facebook Pixel code can then be placed on your website once you’ve created the pixel. You can find instructions for doing this by selecting your setup option:
- Choose how you want to install the pixel code
- Use a partner integration so that you do not have to write a line of code.
- In case you do not have access to your website admin dashboard, select Email Instructions to send your unique pixel code to your web developer as seen below:
- Furthermore, If your website is hosted on other content management systems, apart from WordPress, scroll through the list to choose your the partner connected to your business.
- If your website is a WordPress site, and you have access to the admin dashboard, then select WordPress as your partner integration
The following steps details how to install the pixel code on your WordPress website without writing a line of code:
- Download the plugin from the Facebook pixel interface as displayed on your own screen.
- Go to your WordPress dashboard to upload and activate the plugin.
Is your Pixel installed corretly? Test your Pixel
- Confirm that the pixel is active on your site, by sending test traffic from Facebook as seen below.
Testing your Pixel with the Facebook Pixel Helper
In addition to troubleshooting your pixel and improving its performance, the Facebook Pixel Helper also helps you find out if your pixel is working correctly.
Using the Chrome plugin, you can check if a Facebook pixel is installed on a website. Understand the events that your pixel is receiving and check for errors. Below, you can see how the Facebook Pixel Helper can help you improve your pixel’s performance.
How the Facebook Pixel Helper works
Pixel Helper checks websites for Facebook Pixel code automatically in the background by running in the Chrome browser extension.
- After the extension is installed, a </> icon will appear next to the address bar on the upper right side of the browser.
- The Pixel Helper icon turns blue when a Facebook Pixel is installed on a website. The number of pixels on the web page will also be indicated by a small badge.
- There are no Facebook pixels on this website if the icon does not turn blue.
- A pop-up appears with information you can use to verify, troubleshoot, and improve your Pixel.
To use the Facebook Pixel Helper you must:
- use the Chrome web browser
- install the Pixel Helper extension from the Chrome Store
You can gain valuable insights into your business’ growth by measuring how people interact with your business online as well as how people find your business. By measuring this, you can pinpoint what needs to improve when it comes to discovery for better growth.
Will you be implementing the Facebook Pixel?
If you have questions about this post, simply share on Twitter and tag me @tope_emiola so that we can get the conversation started.